July 20, 2018
Gerald Trimble and Jambaroque will perform for a concert at Rime Buddhist Center on July 20th to benefit the New Temple project. The show will open with Rime Center’s very own Bran Cerddorion. Showtime: 6 pm to 10 pm. Ticket are $25.00
Gerald Trimble, viola da gamba innovator and Kansas City native, is the primary exponent of a new style of playing an ancient instrument. His visionary and virtuosic playing combines Celtic, Eastern and Early Music influences with modern techniques and improvisational skills that span several centuries – from Baroque to jazz – seamlessly uniting the entire continuum. Continue reading
Welcome to The Rime Buddhist Center’s summer curriculum. This semester Geshe Lharampa Tsewang Thinley will continue to lead classes on Shantideva’s Bodhisattvacaryāvatāra. There are also exciting classes that will be offered on Wednesday evenings. Look for details below on these opportunities to deepen your practice with the support of fellow practitioners. Continue reading
It is with joyous heart that I share with you the news that with the support of the Sangha the Rime Board has purchased land for the future home of the Rime Center. We invite you to participate in a truly unique project – building the first Tibetan Buddhist Temple here in Kansas City. We are asking for your help in raising $150K for the down payment on the construction loan for the temple. Support us as we open the doors of lovingkindness to a community in need, while employing principles of access for all abilities and in the spirit of responsible financial husbandry.
Taking the Jukai by Vickie Reiju Cumberland
A few months ago, I took Jukai with Karen Maezen Miller at the Hazy Moon Zen Center in Los Angeles. This sounds kind of exotic, but really it’s not. Maezen is my teacher. Los Angeles is where she practices. It’s as simple as that. Lama Matt asked me to write a few words, so here goes. Continue reading
June 15 – 17, 2018
We are delighted to welcome back Lama Lena to the Rime Center, June 15 through 17. Lama Lena will be giving teachings on Chenrezig and leading us through guided practices. These simple, instructions will teach you how to visualize Chenrezig. She will also be sharing a rare and unique teaching from Lama Yeshi that she received directly.
July 6, 2018
Come join us as we celebrate His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s 83rd birthday Friday July 6th at 6:30 pm. Geshe Tsewang Thinley will be performing a special Tsok Offering and White Tara Puja at 6:30 pm. After the ceremony we will have a potluck, so please bring dish to share. Continue reading
May 29, 2018
Saga Dawa Duchen is one of the most important sacred Buddhist days. The full moon day of fourth Tibetan month is commemorates Lord Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and parinirvana (passing away). All the merits of virtues actions done on this day are multiplies on hundred million times.
The Rime Center will be hosting a special puja to commemorate the Festival of Turning the Wheel of Dharma and will be open during the day for you to come in and meditate at your own pace and time limit. The Special Puja will begin at 7:00 pm and will be led by Geshe Lharampa Tsewang Thinley.
July 16, 2018
Chökhor Düchen, the ‘Festival of Turning the Wheel of Dharma’. It occurs on the fourth day of the sixth Tibetan lunar month. For seven weeks after his enlightenment, Buddha did not teach. Finally, encouraged by Indra and Brahma, he turned the Wheel of Dharma for the first time, at Sarnath, by teaching the ‘Four Noble Truths’.
The Rime Center will be hosting a special puja to commemorate the Festival of Turning the Wheel of Dharma and will be open after the noon meditation for you to come in and meditate at your own pace and time limit. The Special Shakyamuni Puja will begin at 7:00 pm and will be led by Lama Matthew Rice.
1. Hometown: Kansas City, MO. Grew up around the corner from Rime with lots of family and important life events at Our Lady of Guadalupe.
2. Role at Rime: Member, Volunteer, Student
3. Day job: My husband, Geoff, and I have a startup called Shark Off. We make shark repellent surfware jewelry. 100% effective in the KC metro area! I am Boss Momma (aka CEO) and he is Big Kahuna (aka COO). We are excited about helping people lose the fear and love the ocean.
4. Hobbies: Volunteering, reading, Netflix bingeing, doula-ing, feng shui, archery, triathlons
5. What led you to the Dharma: I was teaching and practicing Black Sect Tantric Buddhist Feng Shui. I thought I should understand what that really meant. Geoff and I also wanted our son, Max, to have a foundation in a “faith” community that truly valued humans. We took the Basics of Buddhism class in the fall of 2016 and found a home in Rime. We desperately try to quiet our chattering monkey minds a couple of times a week with our sangha.
6. Something a lot of people don’t know about you: I got to rip the door off a car with the jaws of life! And I caught my sister’s last baby. Mothers deliver babies, doulas catch babies (only when the midwife is late).
7. Buddhist book you would recommend: Buddhism is Not What You Think It Is by Steve Hagen